Sunday, February 28, 2016

Slow Stitchin' Day!

 It was another busy week--I feel pretty good to have some finishes, since I have so many beginnings too.
My Little Flags quilt is finally quilted and bound and can be checked off my 2016 Finish-A-Long list.
I used several different binding pieces from my leftover binding box--a little make-do. 

And, of course, it's not finished until the label has been added!

I was on a roll getting little quilts finished--my tiny cake stand top is now a quilt too! Another one checked off the List!
Since these blocks are so small (2") I was afraid of overwhelming them with thread. I just did some stitch in ditch in the blocks and a crosshatch in the setting triangles (that I left untrimmed so the blocks would "float"). I used YLI silk thread in the top and Aurifil in the bobbin.

And, yes, it is done because it has a label!
I'm toying with going back and adding a little flower in each basket. I'm not sure if I will get around to doing that,  but I definitely plan to frame this little quilt. I already have the frame, which is unfinished--another project to add to the list.

After the long arm quilter's meeting on Friday, I met up with my friend Sandi to do the World's Shortest Shop Hop. Naturally, I had to make some purchases--it would be rude not to!

I have my Dawn Heese baskets ready to stitch. I had started with a dark blue background (which I loved), but it seemed so similar to my Buttermilk Basin blocks. After rummaging around in my bin of neutrals, I came up with this Kathy Schmitz garden themed fabric. It's a bit busy, but I think it will work out. Unfortunately my block one is backwards. I had flipped the patterns in my printer program to trace my fusible and then used it as my placement guide--doh! 
Oh well--I'm ready to do some relaxing stitching today and I hope you find time to do the same! 
Linking with Slow Sunday Stitching HERE
and 2016 Finish-A-Long HERE
Slow Sunday Stitchinggrab button for A Quilter's Table


15 comments:

  1. Two wonderful little quilt finishes there Karen! I love them both! I like the two Dawn Heese blocks too.... the background fabric looks really nice! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the little flags! The wavy quilting lines really compliment the flags. All so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two adorable finishes--you always make the cutest little quilts! and you find the best patterns--Love those wooly baskets--I do have some wool kits--just can't seem to get to them..when the coughing stops--ugh Hugs, (do you realize that hug and ugh use the same letters??? Now why do I know that???;-000) Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your tiny cake stand quilt, I think the quilting compliments the little baskets nicely. And I am in awe of the perfection you achieved at this size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both little quilts are adorable. The wooly basket blocks look yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice finishes! I love the little triangle quilt label. I've never put a label on a quilt I've made. Maybe next time....

    I always think I don't like blue but sometimes a quilt with blue will come along and I'll reconsider. Your blue flowers with the baskets just did that. They capture my attention and I like them a lot.
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the flag quilt very much. One of your red stripe fabrics looks like a twill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Little Flags is a quilt I have been wanting to make. You may have pushed me over the edge. Love it!
    The basket quilt is SO cute. I am anxious to see it framed. I have a couple I have been wondering about framing. I want to see what you do.
    That is a fun sounding, quick little shop hop. : )
    Your wool blocks are so pretty. I think your color choices have made them come alive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so productive!!! I'm always amazed at how much you achieve. I love your flag quilt, such perfect fabric choices. The basket quilt is so sweet. I can imagine it with little flowers but it also looks fine without them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely finishes with the little quilts. The pieces int he basket blocks are so tiny!
    Love the wool baskets, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little quilts are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the tiny quilt!
    You are the only one who will know that a block is printed backwards...looks like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your background fabric for your little woolie baskets. And the blue flowers are wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great finishes and your labels are so so nice. the flag quilt is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the little flags finish with it's awesome quilting - particularly the wavy lines in the flags! Well done you seem to have got a few things finished. If you could link your finishes to your original goals post that would help all your FAL hosts tremendously! Thank you for linking your list and for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts

    ReplyDelete