Friday, September 7, 2012

Am I really a winner?

I meant to get this out earlier, but I got side tracked by the umpteenth showing of Pride and Prejudice on Oxygen channel. I can't count how many times I've watched it, but if I see that it's on, I just have to watch! My favorite is the Colin Firth version, but I like the Keira Knightly one that Oxygen shows, as well.
We spent the afternoon doing the builders home show. It's the same idea as the Parade of Homes, but up here in the North, there are only 6 homes. We only go to the "over the top" homes, so that left 4 that we had to see. Those are my excuses for today.

Yesterday I picked up my new Go!Baby dies and mats that Susan ordered for me. It's a good thing I have some credit built up at the shop, because the Baby is going to cost me a fortune!

 This is my little Go!Baby fabric cutter that I won from Moda---it got here a couple weeks ago.
The Go!Baby does not come with any cutting dies or mats. It just sits there and looks cute. 

I did some research and found a whole list of dies from Accuquilt that work with the Go!Baby. I don't enjoy doing fusible applique, so that eliminated a lot of them. I like to cut my strips using the June Tailor Shape Cut,which is really fast and accurate. I finally decided on a couple dies to try out.

I've been wanting to make a tumbler quilt for ages (since I saw the gorgeous ones being worked on at the Green Lake Retreat).

I'm excited to try this out. It can cut 6 layers 3 at a time, so I would get 18 in one pass through
with corners already cut off to help with piecing.

 And I have on my bucket list the scrappy hourglass quilt that was on the cover of Sew Scrappy Vol. 2 from Better Homes and Gardens.

Look how many of these quarter square triangles I can get using 6 layers of fabric.
 The corners are trimmed on this shape, too! I can get that hourglass quilt cut out in about ten minutes, maybe?
Can you see that the die is tilted in the plate? I haven't figured out why it's like that--maybe the die goes
through at an angle? The instructions say the outside edges of the triangles will be on the straight of grain,
 so I guess I'll have to trust that it will work out that way.

Lastly, I got the Value Die--just because it was a good value-ha! It cuts 4.5 inch
squares, 2.5 inch half square triangles and 2.5 squares.  You can see the angle of the dies better here.
I don't get it. 
I've been working on a new applique project, so I probably won't try my Baby out for a while. In the meantime, she is patiently waiting.

"I'm ready--let's go!"

"We're ready too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment